[VOTE] The *REAL* greatest albums of all time!!1!lol1!UKSFrocks!1
Robert Poleson
2005-04-19 07:33:13 UTC
Am I fairly sure I probably wasn't the only UKSFer to be highly
underwhelmed by Channel 4's Top 100 albums on Sunday night.

So, as music threads and voting seem to be the flavour of the
month I have decided to run an Exclusive UKSF Poll. This will be
open to regular posters and lurkers alike. All you have to do is
send me a list of your 10 favourite albums, in order of
preference if possible, and I will use my powers of correctness
to compile the ultimate greatest ever albums of all time list.

I know it wont be easy for many of you to narrow it down to just
10 but just try to think of ten records you simply could not
live without or even the first ten that pops into your head when
you try thinking about it.

I'll give you all a couple of weeks to get your entries to me at
poleson at gmail.com
rob at rjp.clara.net

I live only a few hundred miles from Robert Poleson.
Osbourne Ruddock
2005-04-19 08:16:12 UTC
Post by Robert Poleson
I know it wont be easy for many of you to narrow it down to just
10 but just try to think of ten records you simply could not
live without or even the first ten that pops into your head when
you try thinking about it.
How are you going to compile it Rob? I doubt you'll have a single album
mentioned twice. It may be difficult to do a count up. Or are you just
going to chuck the whole lot together and call it the 'UKSF 200' or
something?
Cheers, Os
Cypher
2005-04-19 08:40:14 UTC
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Post by Robert Poleson
I know it wont be easy for many of you to narrow it down to just
10 but just try to think of ten records you simply could not
live without or even the first ten that pops into your head when
you try thinking about it.
How are you going to compile it Rob? I doubt you'll have a single album
mentioned twice. It may be difficult to do a count up. Or are you just
going to chuck the whole lot together and call it the 'UKSF 200' or
something?
DWTWP, Os. I will be surprised not to see several of the same albums in
fuckers Top 10s. My Numero Uno pick is bound to be selected by anyone who
puts more than 5 minutes thought into this. Seminal work, seminal.

You and the Greedyman might be way off the beaten track and Nunn's will
all have Morris Dancers for artwork but there are some albums that scream
`pick me' and it won't be because we are following a fashion or trend
though that may have been the way we first heard mention of the albums.

**BIG BREATH**

So there.
Cypher
Osbourne Ruddock
2005-04-19 09:00:02 UTC
Post by Cypher
DWTWP, Os. I will be surprised not to see several of the same albums
in fuckers Top 10s. My Numero Uno pick is bound to be selected by
anyone who puts more than 5 minutes thought into this. Seminal work,
seminal.
Yeh but just because you and Tommo love "Sultans of Swing' doesn't mean
it's going in the rest of our Top 10's.
Post by Cypher
You and the Greedyman might be way off the beaten track and Nunn's
will all have Morris Dancers for artwork but there are some albums
that scream `pick me' and it won't be because we are following a
fashion or trend though that may have been the way we first heard
mention of the albums.
Bollocks, all mine will be hugely well known to anyone with an inking of
musical sense.
Post by Cypher
**BIG BREATH**
Nice tits.
Post by Cypher
So there.
Quite.
Cheers, Os
Cypher
2005-04-19 09:12:24 UTC
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Post by Cypher
DWTWP, Os. I will be surprised not to see several of the same albums
in fuckers Top 10s. My Numero Uno pick is bound to be selected by
anyone who puts more than 5 minutes thought into this. Seminal work,
seminal.
Yeh but just because you and Tommo love "Sultans of Swing' doesn't mean
it's going in the rest of our Top 10's.
Dire Straits ain't bad but none of their albums will make my Top 10.

Here is a wild stab in the dark. Fuck all of the albums listed will be
from the last 10 years. It is up to the Drunkmeister himself but it would
be nice if all the entries had the year of release included too.
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Post by Cypher
You and the Greedyman might be way off the beaten track and Nunn's
will all have Morris Dancers for artwork but there are some albums
that scream `pick me' and it won't be because we are following a
fashion or trend though that may have been the way we first heard
mention of the albums.
Bollocks, all mine will be hugely well known to anyone with an inking of
musical sense.
I think you meant duckling.

I'll be interested to see how my musical sense matches up.
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Post by Cypher
**BIG BREATH**
Nice tits.
**LARGE EXHALE**

Stomach tricks, Os, not everyone can do 'em.
Cypher
Tommo ?
2005-04-19 09:22:20 UTC
Osbourne Ruddock wrote:

Snip
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Yeh but just because you and Tommo love "Sultans of Swing' doesn't mean
it's going in the rest of our Top 10's.
Snip

Not being pedantic (my arse!), but SOS is a different era for 'em. The
track list on LOG is actually a mere 5 songs. Turn the lights out when
you listen to this one. It improves the mood, and prevents anyone from
catching you blubbering at it's greatness >

Telegraph Road
Private Investigations
Industrial Disease
Love Over Gold
It Never Rains
Osbourne Ruddock
2005-04-19 09:38:10 UTC
Post by Tommo ?
Telegraph Road
Private Investigations
Industrial Disease
Love Over Gold
It Never Rains
Pha, music for accountants.
Cheers, Os
Tommo ?
2005-04-19 10:12:59 UTC
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Post by Tommo ?
Telegraph Road
Private Investigations
Industrial Disease
Love Over Gold
It Never Rains
Pha, music for accountants.
The Accountants seemed to join the party from Brothers In Arms onwards.
We were all just Mommy's Boys and Citroen Diane drivers until that
point. Good times.
Cypher
2005-04-19 10:22:58 UTC
Post by Tommo ?
Snip
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
it's going in the rest of our Top 10's.
Snip
Not being pedantic (my arse!), but SOS is a different era for 'em. The
track list on LOG is actually a mere 5 songs. Turn the lights out when
you listen to this one. It improves the mood, and prevents anyone from
catching you blubbering at it's greatness >
Telegraph Road
Private Investigations
Industrial Disease
Love Over Gold
It Never Rains
Some good shit there, Tommo. A mate and I did our own lyrics to
Industrial Disease back in the day and then put it to tape.

I found that tape recently and the lyrics we used didn't seem quite as
memorable as I remembered them but memory being what it is you have to
remember to recall that recollection is *
--
Cypher

*oh fuck it
Robert Poleson
2005-04-19 09:19:10 UTC
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Post by Robert Poleson
I know it wont be easy for many of you to narrow it down to just
10 but just try to think of ten records you simply could not
live without or even the first ten that pops into your head when
you try thinking about it.
How are you going to compile it Rob? I doubt you'll have a single album
mentioned twice. It may be difficult to do a count up. Or are you just
going to chuck the whole lot together and call it the 'UKSF 200' or
something?
I intend to compile it using my powers of correctness, did I not
mention that in my initial post?

I fully expect to see a huge variety of records but I am sure there
will be at least one or two that should get more than one mention. In
fact, I think anything that gets four votes will win. Maybe.
Kullrad
2005-04-19 08:45:26 UTC
Post by Robert Poleson
Am I fairly sure I probably wasn't the only UKSFer to be highly
underwhelmed by Channel 4's Top 100 albums on Sunday night.
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice of 'OK
Computer' as Number 1.
poleson at gmail.com
Consider it done.
--
Kullrad (6)
UKSF Best New Poster 2003

"Er, I think you'll find it's the Year of the Brummiecunt this time.
Yam Ki Pa Tai." - Joe Horowitz
Cypher
2005-04-19 09:04:03 UTC
Post by Kullrad
Post by Robert Poleson
Am I fairly sure I probably wasn't the only UKSFer to be highly
underwhelmed by Channel 4's Top 100 albums on Sunday night.
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice of 'OK
Computer' as Number 1.
Right band, wrong album.
Cypher
Kullrad
2005-04-19 11:20:44 UTC
Post by Cypher
Post by Kullrad
Post by Robert Poleson
Am I fairly sure I probably wasn't the only UKSFer to be highly
underwhelmed by Channel 4's Top 100 albums on Sunday night.
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice of
'OK Computer' as Number 1.
Right band, wrong album.
Eh? You sure. I watched the fucking thing as well. The shock must've warped
my fragile little mind.

Which one was it then?

Voting for *any* Radiohead album as the Greatest Album of All Time is still
bizarre, so MPS.

Yam Ki Pa Tai." - Joe Horowitz
Cypher
2005-04-19 16:54:25 UTC
Post by Kullrad
Post by Cypher
Post by Kullrad
Post by Robert Poleson
Am I fairly sure I probably wasn't the only UKSFer to be highly
underwhelmed by Channel 4's Top 100 albums on Sunday night.
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice of
'OK Computer' as Number 1.
Right band, wrong album.
Eh? You sure. I watched the fucking thing as well. The shock must've warped
my fragile little mind.
I was taking your word as Gospel, but The Bends is the better album by at
least 1.2cm
Cypher
Steve H
2005-04-19 17:11:00 UTC
Post by Cypher
Post by Kullrad
Post by Cypher
Post by Kullrad
Post by Robert Poleson
Am I fairly sure I probably wasn't the only UKSFer to be highly
underwhelmed by Channel 4's Top 100 albums on Sunday night.
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre
choice of 'OK Computer' as Number 1.
Right band, wrong album.
Eh? You sure. I watched the fucking thing as well. The shock must've
warped my fragile little mind.
I was taking your word as Gospel, but The Bends is the better album
by at least 1.2cm
To fucking right. Fabulous stuff.
Steve
Kullrad
2005-04-19 17:37:46 UTC
Post by Cypher
I was taking your word as Gospel, but The Bends is the better album by
at least 1.2cm
Ah, I can see what you're saying now.

A big AWTWP up your jap eye.
--
Kullrad (4)
UKSF Best New Poster 2003

"Maybe that's the career for me then - I could always
just put a peg on my nose, close my eyes, and pretend
it's a big beefy bird's minge." - Al Parkes.
Kullrad
2005-04-19 12:09:17 UTC
Post by Cypher
Post by Kullrad
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice of
'OK Computer' as Number 1.
Right band, wrong album.
Heh, you fucker. I've just checked and I was right.

Cunt.

Yam Ki Pa Tai." - Joe Horowitz
Allen Parkes
2005-04-19 14:22:28 UTC
Post by Kullrad
Post by Cypher
Post by Kullrad
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice
of 'OK Computer' as Number 1.
Right band, wrong album.
Heh, you fucker. I've just checked and I was right.
'Right' in the sense that you cluelessly misunderstood what Cypher was
saying, I presume?
Post by Kullrad
Cunt.
Quite.
--
Al

"Perhaps you were too busy cry into your beer,
after I kicked your ass at ProEvo4, to hear me."

- Kullrad, 2005.
Kullrad
2005-04-19 14:29:46 UTC
Post by Allen Parkes
Post by Kullrad
Post by Cypher
Post by Kullrad
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice
of 'OK Computer' as Number 1.
Right band, wrong album.
Heh, you fucker. I've just checked and I was right.
'Right' in the sense that you cluelessly misunderstood what Cypher was
saying, I presume?
*Brian Blessed Voice On*

Parkes's Alive!!!111!!!1one!!111beardyfatbloke!!!11

Yes, I think you're right. I'm fucking stressed out at work ATM and I'm not
coping particularly well.

Whoooooooooosh away, cunts.
Post by Allen Parkes
Post by Kullrad
Cunt.
Quite.
The Penis.

Fuck.

*Brian Blessed Voice Off*

Yam Ki Pa Tai." - Joe Horowitz
Allen Parkes
2005-04-19 15:10:33 UTC
Post by Kullrad
Post by Allen Parkes
'Right' in the sense that you cluelessly misunderstood what Cypher
was saying, I presume?
*Brian Blessed Voice On*
Parkes's Alive!!!111!!!1one!!111beardyfatbloke!!!11
Dive, Dive!1, DIIIIIIVE!!!!11!!
Post by Kullrad
Yes, I think you're right. I'm fucking stressed out at work ATM and
I'm not coping particularly well.
Whoooooooooosh away, cunts.
Oh, you pussy. My Dad's been in and out of hospital with strokes n' heart
attacks n'shit, and your job is stressing you out. Find a new one. I'll
put in a good word for you at despatch. Heh.
Post by Kullrad
Post by Allen Parkes
Quite.
The Penis.
Fuck.
*Brian Blessed Voice Off*
'Twould be ace to get Blessed to record a .wav or something of the whole
sequence. Heh.

- Kullrad, 2005.
Kullrad
2005-04-19 15:28:41 UTC
Post by Allen Parkes
Oh, you pussy. My Dad's been in and out of hospital with strokes n'
heart attacks n'shit, and your job is stressing you out. Find a new
one. I'll put in a good word for you at despatch. Heh.
Fuck me. Are heart attacks'n'strokes the new Crazy Frog ringtones, or
something?

Anyway, I hope your Dad is OK'n'shit.
Post by Allen Parkes
'Twould be ace to get Blessed to record a .wav or something of the
whole sequence. Heh.
AWTWP. Go and find him then.

Yam Ki Pa Tai." - Joe Horowitz
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-19 15:29:33 UTC
Post by Kullrad
Fuck me. Are heart attacks'n'strokes the new Crazy Frog ringtones, or
something?
I had to read that sentence about 6 times before it made any kind of
sense at all. It may be time for me to go home
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Kullrad
2005-04-19 15:35:08 UTC
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Kullrad
Fuck me. Are heart attacks'n'strokes the new Crazy Frog ringtones, or
something?
I had to read that sentence about 6 times before it made any kind of
sense at all. It may be time for me to go home
You are obviously 'Stressed', Vic.

Go home NOW!!!111!!1 or suffer a stroke'n'shit.

Tell your boss I said it was OK.

Yam Ki Pa Tai." - Joe Horowitz
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-19 15:45:51 UTC
Post by Kullrad
You are obviously 'Stressed', Vic.
Yes. Very much so. Honest.
Post by Kullrad
Go home NOW!!!111!!1 or suffer a stroke'n'shit.
Ooh, stroking.
Post by Kullrad
Tell your boss I said it was OK.
Rightyho. I'm going in about 20 mins anyhow.
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Kullrad
2005-04-19 15:55:43 UTC
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Kullrad
You are obviously 'Stressed', Vic.
Yes. Very much so. Honest.
I believe you. As a fellow suffererererer, I recognize the signs.
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Kullrad
Go home NOW!!!111!!1 or suffer a stroke'n'shit.
Ooh, stroking.
Yes, but I wasn't talking about stoking the baby vomit off your lap.
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Kullrad
Tell your boss I said it was OK.
Rightyho. I'm going in about 20 mins anyhow.
Heh, I have to sit around looking busy and stressed until 5.30pm.

Life is so unfair.

Yam Ki Pa Tai." - Joe Horowitz
Osbourne Ruddock
2005-04-19 22:01:25 UTC
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Kullrad
Fuck me. Are heart attacks'n'strokes the new Crazy Frog ringtones, or
something?
I had to read that sentence about 6 times before it made any kind of
sense at all. It may be time for me to go home
I thought that sentence was the sentence of the week frankly.
Cheers, Os
Kullrad
2005-04-19 22:04:09 UTC
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Kullrad
Fuck me. Are heart attacks'n'strokes the new Crazy Frog ringtones, or
something?
I had to read that sentence about 6 times before it made any kind of
sense at all. It may be time for me to go home
I thought that sentence was the sentence of the week frankly.
Thanks, Os.

In your honour, I'm moving "Ace of Spades" up a spot in my Top10 Albums.

Osbourne Ruddock
2005-04-19 23:49:16 UTC
Post by Kullrad
Thanks, Os.
In your honour, I'm moving "Ace of Spades" up a spot in my Top10 Albums.
Good man Kully. Sadly I think it's still born to lose, cos gambling's for
fools.
Cheers, Os
Robert Poleson
2005-04-20 08:10:56 UTC
On 19 Apr 2005 23:49:16 GMT, the delighfully homosexual Osbourne
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Post by Kullrad
Thanks, Os.
In your honour, I'm moving "Ace of Spades" up a spot in my Top10 Albums.
Good man Kully. Sadly I think it's still born to lose, cos gambling's for
fools.
I dunno, at the moment it's looking like one of the early
favourites, could be a good each way bet.
rob at rjp.clara.net

I live only a few hundred miles from Robert Poleson.
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-19 22:07:10 UTC
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Kullrad
Fuck me. Are heart attacks'n'strokes the new Crazy Frog ringtones, or
something?
I had to read that sentence about 6 times before it made any kind of
sense at all. It may be time for me to go home
I thought that sentence was the sentence of the week frankly.
Thank you. But don't call me Frankly.
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Osbourne Ruddock
2005-04-19 23:48:13 UTC
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
I thought that sentence was the sentence of the week frankly.
Thank you. But don't call me Frankly.
Fairy muff. May I call you Esoterically instead?
Cheers, Os
Joe Horowitz
2005-04-20 08:23:17 UTC
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Kullrad
Fuck me. Are heart attacks'n'strokes the new Crazy Frog ringtones, or
something?
I had to read that sentence about 6 times before it made any kind of
sense at all. It may be time for me to go home
Seeing as you're a bird'n'shit, Vicky, you should really already be there.

Stay out of football.

Joe
This is a serious post.
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-20 08:53:18 UTC
Post by Joe Horowitz
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Kullrad
Fuck me. Are heart attacks'n'strokes the new Crazy Frog ringtones, or
something?
I had to read that sentence about 6 times before it made any kind of
sense at all. It may be time for me to go home
Seeing as you're a bird'n'shit, Vicky, you should really already be there.
Ah, but as you know, home is where the heart is, so wtf am I going to go?
Post by Joe Horowitz
Stay out of football.
It's a bit of a tight fit in there, I must admit. Especially since I
got fat.
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Joe Horowitz
2005-04-20 18:36:39 UTC
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Joe Horowitz
Post by Vicky Conlan
sense at all. It may be time for me to go home
Seeing as you're a bird'n'shit, Vicky, you should really already be there.
Ah, but as you know, home is where the heart is, so wtf am I going to go?
Lose the heart, ffs. It's not as if you need it.
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Joe Horowitz
Stay out of football.
It's a bit of a tight fit in there, I must admit. Especially since I
got fat.
Maybe the football got thin.

Joe
This is a serious post.
Martin
2005-04-19 16:18:24 UTC
Post by Kullrad
*Brian Blessed Voice On*
Parkes's Alive!!!111!!!1one!!111beardyfatbloke!!!11
Are you sure it was Brian Blessed that did that bit? Saw that film again
just the other week - what a pile of steaming bollocks it was. Very
enjoyable though.

Kullrad
2005-04-19 17:40:54 UTC
Post by Martin
Post by Kullrad
*Brian Blessed Voice On*
Parkes's Alive!!!111!!!1one!!111beardyfatbloke!!!11
Are you sure it was Brian Blessed that did that bit? Saw that film again
just the other week - what a pile of steaming bollocks it was. Very
enjoyable though.
I have no idea about anything anymore, Mr M.

I'm 'Stressed', you see.

And about to have a heart attack'n'shit, apparently.

Michael Cunningham
2005-04-19 19:34:48 UTC
Post by Kullrad
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice of 'OK
Computer' as Number 1.
Why is that a bizarre choice?
Mike
Robert Poleson
2005-04-19 21:09:31 UTC
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:34:48 +0100, the delighfully homosexual
Post by Michael Cunningham
Post by Kullrad
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice of 'OK
Computer' as Number 1.
Why is that a bizarre choice?
Because it isn't that good.
rob at rjp.clara.net

I live only a few hundred miles from Robert Poleson.
Kullrad
2005-04-19 21:57:30 UTC
Post by Robert Poleson
Post by Michael Cunningham
Post by Kullrad
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice
of 'OK Computer' as Number 1.
Why is that a bizarre choice?
Because it isn't that good.
You're so right, Rob, it hurts.

Michael Cunningham
2005-04-20 18:48:51 UTC
Post by Robert Poleson
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:34:48 +0100, the delighfully homosexual
Post by Michael Cunningham
Why is that a bizarre choice?
Because it isn't that good.
Heh. Funny.

Not quite worthy of a nomination. But funny.
Mike
Kullrad
2005-04-19 21:58:54 UTC
"Michael Cunningham" <***@spamxxblockuksf.org.uk> tickled their
tummies and meowed
Post by Michael Cunningham
Post by Kullrad
I thought it was OK, actually, apart from the truly bizarre choice of
'OK Computer' as Number 1.
Why is that a bizarre choice?
Don't get me wrong, I like 'OK Computer', but it just seems wrong somehow.

Like BTN in a meaningful relationship, or something.

Osbourne Ruddock
2005-04-19 23:06:27 UTC
Post by Kullrad
Don't get me wrong, I like 'OK Computer', but it just seems wrong somehow.
Why the fuck do they bother chucking in stuff like the Sinatra or
Coltrane albums? If this means jazz should be in there then chuck Miles
Davis' 'Birth of the Cool' in at No 1 because it's one of 2-3 albums that
helped make modern music. None of the other shit would be there without
it. Likewise Elvis Presley's Sun Sessions and 'The Genius of Ray
Charles'. Epoch making artefacts that no one serious about modern music
should be without.

Hell, they may as well have chucked The Verve in at No 1.
Cheers, Os
Sir Benjamin Nunn
2005-04-20 08:35:04 UTC
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Hell, they may as well have chucked The Verve in at No 1.
Heh. So true.

But who's to doubt the accuracy of this survey? We all know that there are
only 125 albums worth consideration for the top 100 of all time.

BTN
Robert Poleson
2005-04-20 09:10:54 UTC
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:35:04 +0100, the delighfully homosexual
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
Post by Osbourne Ruddock
Hell, they may as well have chucked The Verve in at No 1.
Heh. So true.
But who's to doubt the accuracy of this survey? We all know that there are
only 125 albums worth consideration for the top 100 of all time.
Are you planning to offer a top 10, Ben, for the UKSF survey? It
would be a shame to see Jethro Tull and Ace of Base go without a
mention on the list.
rob at rjp.clara.net

I live only a few hundred miles from Robert Poleson.
Sir Benjamin Nunn
2005-04-20 09:23:33 UTC
Post by Robert Poleson
Are you planning to offer a top 10, Ben, for the UKSF survey? It
would be a shame to see Jethro Tull and Ace of Base go without a
mention on the list.
I saw what you did there, with the Ace of Base and Tull in the same
sentence'n'shit.

Actually, There are probably a couple of Tull albums I like less than 'Happy
Nation', come to think of it. The late 80s Jethro Tull stuff was pretty
wank.

OK. A top 10 it is, but it will come with the proviso that I don't believe
compiling a top 10 is a possible task. Only way I can do this is to avoid
more than one album from any artist.

- Ultramarine: United Kingdoms
- Men They Couldn't Hang: Waiting for Bonaparte
- James Taylor: Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon
- Simon and Garfunkel: The Sounds of Silence
- Jethro Tull: Aqualung
- Steeleye Span: Below the Salt
- John Rutter: Requiem
- Jan Gabarek & The Hilliard Ensemble: Officium
- Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes
- Fairport Convention: Babbacombe Lee

BTN
Sid
2005-04-20 15:46:46 UTC
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
- Simon and Garfunkel: The Sounds of Silence
I wouldn't mind this in my list.

Sid
--
s i d at n e r t e dot n e t
http://www.nerte.net
Tommo ?
2005-04-19 09:03:27 UTC
Robert Poleson wrote:

Snip Poleson's poll, son

Great idea, and it will be a pleasure to see my favourite crap being
hailed by everyone on here as classics. No need for the lead time ; the
longer I take to do this the more confused I get, so I'll just go on
instinct. They're below this spoiler space for those of you who
don't want to feel tainted by my badness :
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
S p o i l e r s p a c e
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;

1) The Introduction - Steve Morse
2) Strikes - Blackfoot
3) Love Over Gold - Dire Straits
4) Aja - Steely Dan
5) Machine Head - Deep Purple
6) Time Loves a Hero - Little Feat
7) Ace of Spades - Motorhead
8) Back In Black - AC/DC
9) Minute By Minute - Dooby Brothers
10) II - Led Zeppelin
Cypher
2005-04-19 09:22:56 UTC
Post by Tommo ?
[...]
What does your new bird think of these, Tommo?

I can almost smell your sweaty leather waistcoat.
Cypher
Tommo ?
2005-04-19 09:43:10 UTC
Snip Tommo's selection
Post by Cypher
What does your new bird think of these, Tommo?
I can almost smell your sweaty leather waistcoat.
I'm very concious that my taste is all in my mouth, and I'm careful not
to ram my badness down her throat (missus). I'll only play her my
mellow stuff like Steely Dan and Little Feat, as my heavier stuff would
only set the scene for a row.

She loves the Big & Rich debut album (Horse of a Different Colour),
which I think should be some sort of litmus paper as to whether a
person has any real idea of what it is to write and perform songs. That
would've been in the list, but I want it to mature for a few years
before it mixes it with the seasoned classics.

Back at her place we listen to Elvis / Nina Simone / jazzy stuff with
strong vocal performances, which is totally fine by me.
Steve H
2005-04-19 09:32:51 UTC
Post by Tommo ?
They're below this spoiler space for those of you who
;
<snippy>

I feel dirty.
Steve
Tommo ?
I'm new to this sort of thing Steve, so, erm, what are you wearing?
Steve H
2005-04-19 12:56:05 UTC
Post by Tommo ?
Post by Steve H
Post by Tommo ?
They're below this spoiler space for those of you who
;
<snippy>
I feel dirty.
--
Steve
I'm new to this sort of thing Steve, so, erm, what are you wearing?
A 'Clair's tits rock!!111!' t-shirt. Its quite fetching.
Steve
Tommo ?
2005-04-19 13:15:16 UTC
Steve H wrote:

Snip
Post by Steve H
Post by Tommo ?
Post by Steve H
I feel dirty.
--
Steve
I'm new to this sort of thing Steve, so, erm, what are you wearing?
A 'Clair's tits rock!!111!' t-shirt. Its quite fetching.
I dunno. You let *one* innocent comment slip on here, and it becomes a
mantra or summat.
Osbourne Ruddock
2005-04-19 09:41:04 UTC
Post by Tommo ?
7) Ace of Spades - Motorhead
High five T!
Cheers, Os
Osbourne Ruddock
2005-04-19 09:40:16 UTC
poleson at gmail.com
Nah, an hour should be enough for anyone.

1. Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On
2. The Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
3. Motorhead - Ace of Spades
4. The Who - Live at Leeds
5. Lee 'Scratch' Perry - Arkology
6. The Stooges - The Stooges
7. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
8. Wire - Pink Flag
9. The Congos - Heart of The Congos
10. Israel Vibration - The Same Song
11. James Brown - Revolution of the Mind
(Yeh I know, sue me)
Cheers, Os
roondog
2005-04-19 09:43:59 UTC
This is the actual list as written in the scriptures.
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
spoiler space
;
;
;
;
;
;
in no real oreder.
Appetite for Destruction - Guns n' Roses
Metallica/Black Album - Metallica
Revolver - The Beatles
The Planets - Gustav Holst
Straight Outta Compton - NWA
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
Antichrist Superstar - Marilyn Manson
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
Whos Next - The Who
The Libertines - The Libertines

This just missed out.
Jive Bunny the Album - Jive Bunny and the mastermixers.
Cypher
2005-04-19 10:06:48 UTC
In article <d42jt1$hrv$***@news.anglia.ac.uk>, ***@hotmail.com
says...
Post by roondog
This is the actual list as written in the scriptures.
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
spoiler space
;
;
;
;
;
;
in no real oreder.
You're posting with a PDA aren't you, Roondog?
Cypher
Robert Poleson
2005-04-19 10:13:22 UTC
Post by roondog
;
in no real oreder.
I'll just take them in the order you list them.
No home should be without it.
Tommo ?
2005-04-19 10:18:27 UTC
Snip
Post by roondog
Appetite for Destruction - Guns n' Roses
IAWTWP
Post by roondog
This just missed out.
Jive Bunny the Album - Jive Bunny and the mastermixers.
I had to buy a Jive Bunny album for a girlfriend once. I'd have rather
gone into a chemist and asked the youngest female assistant for some
condoms, thrush cream, pile suppositories, and something for my itchy
crabs. If it wan't for repeat prescriptions I could've, too.
Cypher
2005-04-19 10:06:15 UTC
Post by Robert Poleson
Am I fairly sure I probably wasn't the only UKSFer to be highly
underwhelmed by Channel 4's Top 100 albums on Sunday night.
you have gmail, Sir Robert Bingevomit
Cypher
Greedy G
2005-04-19 11:01:15 UTC
Spoiler Space............

1 - Bob Andy's Songbook
2 - I'm A Loser - Doris Duke
3 - On Top - The Heptones
4 - Lost Friends - Eddie & Ernie
5 - It Takes A Nation Of Millions.... - Public Enemy
6 - Watermelon Man - Mongo Santamaria
7 - The Complete Goldwax Singles - James Carr
8 - Presenting - Burning Spear
9 - The Anthology 1961-1977 - Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions
10 - King Tubby Meets The Upsetter At The Grass Roots Of Dub

Cypher
2005-04-19 11:14:12 UTC
Post by Greedy G
Spoiler Space............
ffs, first Roondog, now you Greedy. That's no spoiler space.

This:

Spoiler Space...............

---------------

-----------------

is a spoiler space.
Robert Poleson
2005-04-19 14:39:13 UTC
Post by Cypher
Post by Robert Poleson
Am I fairly sure I probably wasn't the only UKSFer to be highly
underwhelmed by Channel 4's Top 100 albums on Sunday night.
you have gmail, Sir Robert Bingevomit
Thank you very much for taking the time to actually email your list to
me. I didn't think it would be such a difficult request but it seems I
am wrong (this day will go down in UKSF folklore as a legend).

As it stands I have a list of 57 albums, nearly all of them are worth
owning.
Osbourne Ruddock
2005-04-19 21:56:43 UTC
Post by Robert Poleson
As it stands I have a list of 57 albums, nearly all of them are worth
owning.
It's a good start Rob. Shame some cunts have thought to send you shite that
doesn't warrant a place on this illustrious roll call. At least Tommo's not
too far away if you want to give him a smack.
Cheers, Os
Kullrad
2005-04-19 12:21:01 UTC
Robert Poleson <***@m.no> sucked in a lungful of fetid air and screamed:

<snip>

Here's the list that you had to choose from:

http://tinyurl.com/55lwk

So someone, somwhere, had to decide which 125 we could've picked from. I'm
sure Ben would have something to say on this.

Here's the results:

http://tinyurl.com/a4873

Just in case any of you cunts really want to know.

Yam Ki Pa Tai." - Joe Horowitz
Steve H
2005-04-19 16:52:17 UTC
poleson at gmail.com
You have Gmail.
Steve
Robert Poleson
2005-04-19 17:10:30 UTC
poleson at gmail.com
You have Gmail.
Received and added to the list.
rob at rjp.clara.net

I live only a few hundred miles from Robert Poleson.
Paul C
2005-04-19 19:31:10 UTC
poleson at gmail.com
Here is the verdict from the 1960s and 70s timewarp panel (well,
mainly 60/70s)

Down below

1 Bridge over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel
2 Deja Vu - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
3 Carly Simon - Have You Seen Me Lately
4 Songs of Leonard Cohen - Leonard Cohen
5 Graceland - Paul Simon
6 Tumbleweed Connection - Elton John
7 Feliciano - Jose Feliciano
8 Mud Slime Slim - James Taylor
9 After the Goldrush - Neil Young
10 Joshua Tree - U2
Paul
Sid
2005-04-19 23:57:30 UTC
poleson at gmail.com
Here is the verdict from the 1960s and 70s timewarp panel (well,
mainly 60/70s)
Down below
1 Bridge over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel
You took one of mine, Paul. I haven't made my list yet but,
you took one of mine.

Sid
--
s i d at n e r t e dot n e t
http://www.nerte.net
Robert Poleson
2005-04-20 08:07:05 UTC
On 19 Apr 2005 23:57:30 GMT, the delighfully homosexual Sid
Post by Sid
You took one of mine, Paul. I haven't made my list yet but,
you took one of mine.
This isn't a competition to see who can post the most unique
list, you know.
rob at rjp.clara.net

I live only a few hundred miles from Robert Poleson.
Sid
2005-04-20 08:31:41 UTC
Post by Sid
You took one of mine, Paul. I haven't made my list yet but,
you took one of mine.
This isn't a competition to see who can post the most unique
list, you know.
Oh, don't worry about it.

I wrote a short list today to send to you, and mine's not
unique at all!

My choices seem to be quite mainstream - but in a few very
different streams.

Sid, not at his computer
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-20 08:55:07 UTC
According to <***@MMMMMMAPSSSSEnerte.net>:

(bugger the spoiler space)
(like anyone doesn't scroll)
Post by Sid
Post by Paul C
1 Bridge over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel
You took one of mine, Paul. I haven't made my list yet but,
you took one of mine.
My ex (who wasn't my ex at the time, obv) used to put this on
at sleep-time approx once a week. It's very very good as dozing
off music.
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Paul C
2005-04-20 15:21:01 UTC
Post by Vicky Conlan
(bugger the spoiler space)
(like anyone doesn't scroll)
Post by Sid
Post by Paul C
1 Bridge over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel
You took one of mine, Paul. I haven't made my list yet but,
you took one of mine.
My ex (who wasn't my ex at the time, obv) used to put this on
at sleep-time approx once a week. It's very very good as dozing
off music.
ZZZZZzzzzzzz.........
Paul
Michael Cunningham
2005-04-20 18:49:03 UTC
Post by Paul C
1 Bridge over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel
2 Deja Vu - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
3 Carly Simon - Have You Seen Me Lately
4 Songs of Leonard Cohen - Leonard Cohen
5 Graceland - Paul Simon
6 Tumbleweed Connection - Elton John
7 Feliciano - Jose Feliciano
8 Mud Slime Slim - James Taylor
9 After the Goldrush - Neil Young
10 Joshua Tree - U2
I own three of those. And what's more, I really like them.

This is a sad day for Mikey fans everywhere.
Mike
Paul C
2005-04-20 20:17:29 UTC
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:49:03 +0100, "Michael Cunningham"
Post by Michael Cunningham
Post by Paul C
1 Bridge over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel
2 Deja Vu - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
3 Carly Simon - Have You Seen Me Lately
4 Songs of Leonard Cohen - Leonard Cohen
5 Graceland - Paul Simon
6 Tumbleweed Connection - Elton John
7 Feliciano - Jose Feliciano
8 Mud Slime Slim - James Taylor
9 After the Goldrush - Neil Young
10 Joshua Tree - U2
I own three of those. And what's more, I really like them.
I bet yours aren't vinyl, though.
Post by Michael Cunningham
This is a sad day for Mikey fans everywhere.
Spookily, I looked at Sir Ben's choices and had very much the same
thoughts.
Paul
rYan_
2005-04-19 20:13:19 UTC
"Robert Poleson" <***@m.no> wrote in message news:***@news.clara.net...
<SNIP>

my vote should be with you by now
Robert Poleson
2005-04-19 21:11:04 UTC
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:13:19 +0100, the delighfully homosexual
Post by rYan_
<SNIP>
my vote should be with you by now
Yup.We now have 85 different albums, There are 5 with 2 votes
and none with 3 votes. Yet.
rob at rjp.clara.net

I live only a few hundred miles from Robert Poleson.
Paul C
2005-04-19 21:37:13 UTC
Post by rYan_
<SNIP>
my vote should be with you by now
Yup.We now have 85 different albums, There are 5 with 2 votes
and none with 3 votes. Yet.
Organising a UKSF General Election is much easier.
Paul
Robert Poleson
2005-04-20 08:07:35 UTC
Post by rYan_
<SNIP>
my vote should be with you by now
Yup.We now have 85 different albums, There are 5 with 2 votes
and none with 3 votes. Yet.
Organising a UKSF General Election is much easier.
But much less important.
rob at rjp.clara.net

I live only a few hundred miles from Robert Poleson.
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-20 08:55:33 UTC
Post by Robert Poleson
Post by Paul C
Organising a UKSF General Election is much easier.
But much less important.
*gasp*!
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Jon de Souza
2005-04-20 12:06:33 UTC
I've sent my Top 10 to Poleson so here's the ten that just missed out
on inclusion:
Esthero - Breath From Another
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Billy Joel - 52nd Street
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Billy Joel - Piano Man
The Roots - Phrenology
Faith No More - Angel Dust

Can I make a suggestion that may actually be too late now and that is
to ban compilation or best of albums where the tracks contained are
mostly available on other albums...

JdS
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-20 12:11:16 UTC
Post by Jon de Souza
Billy Joel - Piano Man
If I was making a list, this would be on mine.
Oh god, I share musicaltastewithJdS.
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Jon de Souza
2005-04-20 12:29:12 UTC
You say that like it's a bad thing...

(And there is a Bill album in the Top 10 list as well).

JdS
Sir Benjamin Nunn
2005-04-20 12:12:49 UTC
Post by Jon de Souza
I've sent my Top 10 to Poleson so here's the ten that just missed out
Esthero - Breath From Another
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Billy Joel - 52nd Street
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Billy Joel - Piano Man
The Roots - Phrenology
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Can I make a suggestion that may actually be too late now and that is
to ban compilation or best of albums where the tracks contained are
mostly available on other albums...
Can't say I'd identify with any of your album choices, but you're bang-on
with this last suggestion.

Compilation albums unsuck horsecock.

BTN
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-20 12:20:14 UTC
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
Post by Jon de Souza
Can I make a suggestion that may actually be too late now and that is
to ban compilation or best of albums where the tracks contained are
mostly available on other albums...
Can't say I'd identify with any of your album choices, but you're bang-on
with this last suggestion.
Compilation albums unsuck horsecock.
DWYWP. If someone's favourite album happens to be a compilation, why
should it be excluded? The tracks they like may well be on other
albums, but not all on the same one. Just because they unsuck Ben's
horsecock, doesn't mean they can't suck mine. Or something.
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Sir Benjamin Nunn
2005-04-20 12:45:03 UTC
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
Post by Jon de Souza
Can I make a suggestion that may actually be too late now and that is
to ban compilation or best of albums where the tracks contained are
mostly available on other albums...
Can't say I'd identify with any of your album choices, but you're bang-on
with this last suggestion.
Compilation albums unsuck horsecock.
DWYWP. If someone's favourite album happens to be a compilation, why
should it be excluded? The tracks they like may well be on other
albums, but not all on the same one. Just because they unsuck Ben's
horsecock, doesn't mean they can't suck mine. Or something.
Love you deeply'n'shit, but you are wrong here.

There is an obvious difference between favourite _tracks_ and favourite
albums. 'Favourite Tracks' is an entirely valid thing in and of itself, and
the process of compiling tracks into a compilation album, however good the
component tracks, is not the same as the recording and production of an
album.

If we followed your logic to it's conclusion, someone's favourite album
could be a home-made compilation of just their favourite tracks. Not only
would this make a mockery of the favourite _album_ survey, it would also
negate the potential of a future favourite _tracks_ listing.

BTN
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-20 12:49:24 UTC
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
Love you deeply'n'shit, but you are wrong here.
I know you do, and I'm really not.
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
There is an obvious difference between favourite _tracks_ and favourite
albums. 'Favourite Tracks' is an entirely valid thing in and of itself, and
the process of compiling tracks into a compilation album, however good the
component tracks, is not the same as the recording and production of an
album.
And I would just like to add "but even so, it's still an album".
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
If we followed your logic to it's conclusion, someone's favourite album
could be a home-made compilation of just their favourite tracks. Not only
It could, indeed. And I think that this, if they then produced it, financed
it and released it as an album, would be perfectly fine. Otherwise it's
just "a tape I knocked together". Someone has to draw a line, and I'm
drawing mine at the commercial point. YourLine, apparently, MayDiffer.
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
would this make a mockery of the favourite _album_ survey, it would also
negate the potential of a future favourite _tracks_ listing.
Nu-uh.
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Sid
2005-04-20 15:43:22 UTC
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
Post by Jon de Souza
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk
Billy Joel - 52nd Street
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
Not "Woman In Red"? ;-)
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
Post by Jon de Souza
Billy Joel - Piano Man
Good choices.
Post by Sir Benjamin Nunn
Can't say I'd identify with any of your album choices, but you're bang-on
with this last suggestion.
Compilation albums unsuck horsecock.
I wouldn't go this far, but yes, in this thread / survey's
context, compilation albums would be cheating.

Here I am thinking if I should pick Appetite for Destruction
or Use Your Illusion 1 and some other random poster is picking
Live at the whatver.

Sid
--
s i d at n e r t e dot n e t
http://www.nerte.net
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-20 16:24:21 UTC
Post by Sid
Here I am thinking if I should pick Appetite for Destruction
or Use Your Illusion 1 and some other random poster is picking
Live at the whatver.
I was debating UYI I and II. I went for II before deciding not
to join in. Maybe I should join in after all.

And if I want to put in a compilation/best of, I will! Ha!
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Sid
2005-04-20 16:43:14 UTC
Post by Vicky Conlan
Post by Sid
Here I am thinking if I should pick Appetite for Destruction
or Use Your Illusion 1 and some other random poster is picking
Live at the whatver.
I was debating UYI I and II. I went for II before deciding not
to join in. Maybe I should join in after all.
And if I want to put in a compilation/best of, I will! Ha!
I came back home, a few beers inside me and this is what I picked:

I mailed Poleson as well, but this is for the froup to make fun
of my 'mainstream' picks :-p

(was I supposed to rank them?)

1. Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
(Had to chose between this and "Sounds of Silence". Not such a
difficult choice in the end.)

2. Billy Joel - Piano man
(But Somehow Stormfront has to be mentiond if just for "We Didn't
Start The Fire".)

3. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced.
(Nothing to add)

4. Metallica - Black Album / Metallica
(Many "true" Metallica fans don't like this album that much. I say,
screw you.)

5. Guns 'n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
(Difficult choice between this and Use Your Illusion 1/2.)

6. Soundgarden - Superunknown
(Nothing to add)

7. Beatles - Revolver
(Hard choice again. All my favourite Beatles songs are spread across
many albums)

8. Nirvana - Nevermind
(Nothing to add)

9. Queen - Night At the Opera
(See Beatles. Bohemian Rhapsody deserves this spot. Almost picked
Live at Wembley, but that would be cheating.)

10. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
(Accountant!111one! My favourite Dire Straits song "Southbound Again"
is not in this but still).

Sid
--
s i d at n e r t e dot n e t
http://www.nerte.net
Vicky Conlan
2005-04-20 16:46:24 UTC
Post by Sid
9. Queen - Night At the Opera
Oops, forgot about Queen. I am so crap.
UK Competitions: http://comps.org/
Michael Cunningham
2005-04-20 18:49:13 UTC
Post by Sid
I mailed Poleson as well, but this is for the froup to make fun
of my 'mainstream' picks :-p
Mainstream picks are the new non-conformity on UKSF. Anbody
who picks obscure albums these days is a predictable cuntformist,
who needs their desires challenged.
Mike
Martin
2005-04-20 19:56:36 UTC
In article
Post by Sid
1. Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
(Had to chose between this and "Sounds of Silence". Not such a
difficult choice in the end.)
Like this a lot, but not up there for me. I think Paul Simon's
songwriting is god-like.
Post by Sid
3. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced.
(Nothing to add)
Electric Ladyland almost made it for me.
Post by Sid
4. Metallica - Black Album / Metallica
(Many "true" Metallica fans don't like this album that much. I say,
screw you.)
Was definitely on my shortlist.
Post by Sid
5. Guns 'n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
(Difficult choice between this and Use Your Illusion 1/2.)
AWTWP. Didn't make the final cut.
Post by Sid
7. Beatles - Revolver
(Hard choice again. All my favourite Beatles songs are spread across
many albums)
Weird. I like a lot of Beatles songs but I don't own a single Beatles
album and I've never put them up there on the plinth. Just doesn't click
with me. Maybe because we're all meant to love them.
Post by Sid
8. Nirvana - Nevermind
(Nothing to add)
Very important. Some stunning tracks. Not in my Top Ten. Not even on the
shortlist. Don't know why.
Post by Sid
9. Queen - Night At the Opera
(See Beatles. Bohemian Rhapsody deserves this spot. Almost picked
Live at Wembley, but that would be cheating.)
This one is up there for me, but not even on the shortlist. Don't know
why. Beginning to regret my choices now.
Post by Sid
10. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
(Accountant!111one! My favourite Dire Straits song "Southbound Again"
is not in this but still).
Once drove a long way to see a Dire Straits concert. Songwriting
excellent. Would have had to toss up between this and Love Over Gold.

Oh bollox, going to have to post mine now.

Joe Horowitz
2005-04-21 00:08:14 UTC
Post by Cypher
In article
Post by Sid
3. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced.
(Nothing to add)
Electric Ladyland almost made it for me.
Huh. I was just about to say that I like 'Axis Bold As Love' the best.
Won't make my top ten but it'll enter my thoughts when I get round to
compiling my shortlist.

I think it's a sign of a good artist when the people who love their work
can't agree on which is the best album.

Joe
--
This is a serious post.

Michael Cunningham
2005-04-20 18:48:43 UTC
Post by Vicky Conlan
I was debating UYI I and II. I went for II before deciding not
to join in. Maybe I should join in after all.
And if I want to put in a compilation/best of, I will! Ha!
IAWTWP. Tell Nunn to shove it up his arses. If someone
feels like they can't choose their favourite albums in a favourite
albums thread, then Youksef has truly failed.

Well, moreso than usual anyway.
Mike
Martin
2005-04-20 19:47:36 UTC
In article <d45vnl$2tmr$***@magenta.plig.net>, ***@riffraff.plig.net
says...
Post by Vicky Conlan
And if I want to put in a compilation/best of, I will! Ha!
Two best-ofs made my shortlist (The Smiths - Singles and Kirsty MacColl
- Galore in case you're interested), but neither made the Top Ten.

Martin
2005-04-20 20:10:19 UTC
Here you go. The top 10 (don't ask me to put the fuckers in order, I
had a hard enough time sorting out this 10 from the rest).

The Whitlams - Eternal Nightcap
Aussie geniuses. Written in response to the frontman topping himself.
Cracking cover of Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue"

REM - Automatic for the People
The perfect album. I cry every time I listen to Nightswimming.

Tori Amos - Boys For Pele
Very difficult to choose between any of her first 3 albums.

Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
Must be a bastard when you record the best thing you will ever produce
as your third album.

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
What electric guitars were invented for.

Kristin Hersh - Hips & Makers
She's bonkers. This is stunning.

Counting Crows - August And Everything After
My "Accountants!!!1111lol!!!" choice. Fucking excellent songwriters
though.

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
A major part of my teenage years.

Wonderstuff - Never Loved Elvis
Grooves and social commentary.

Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Absolute total muthafucking genius.

And the ones that didn't quite make it. The rest of the shortlist.
Michael Franti & Spearhead - Stay Human
The Smiths - Singles (I know it's a compilation but fuckit)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Prince and the NPG - Diamonds and Pearls
Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Little Angels - Don't Prey For Me
Aimee Mann - Whatever
Kirsty MacColl - Galore (yes another compilation, just get over it)
Portishead - Dummy
Urban Species - Blanket
Marillion - Clutching At Straws
Metallica - Metallica

Can I also choose a few from Sid's list?

Cypher
2005-04-20 22:12:04 UTC
Post by Martin
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
A major part of my teenage years.
Listened to this album muchly myself.

You did have an awful lot of smelly girls in your Top 10 list, Martin.

Nothing wrong with Tori at all but girls are a bit girlie.
Cypher
Robert Poleson
2005-04-20 12:24:06 UTC
Post by Jon de Souza
Can I make a suggestion that may actually be too late now and that is
to ban compilation or best of albums where the tracks contained are
mostly available on other albums...
There are very few compilation albums on the list, I think Greedy may
be the only one to have any.
Sir Benjamin Nunn
2005-04-20 12:45:24 UTC
Post by Robert Poleson
Post by Jon de Souza
Can I make a suggestion that may actually be too late now and that is
to ban compilation or best of albums where the tracks contained are
mostly available on other albums...
There are very few compilation albums on the list, I think Greedy may
be the only one to have any.
And that's only because he's not a proper poster.

BTN